Sunday 2 February 2014

FEBRUARY IN THE GARDEN OF ANXIETY


It's unbelievable just how mild the temperatures are for this time of year!  It can only mean the worse is still to come.  Knowing in advance that the forecast for this weekend was dry and sunny, I thought it would be the right opportunity to do what I should have done in late Autumn: prepare the garden by covering up the garden furniture and protecting the palms with fleeces against frost and harsh weather.

Date Palm and Chinese Fan Palm get protected against frost.
















Dutch irises have already started sprouting
















The Japanese Maple has now lost all its leaves and the Sasa Palmata bamboo is looking a bit weathered but it is holding up well and will recoup its lush bouncy foliage in Spring.

Snow?  Bring it on because I'm ready!
















Due to the exceptionally mild weather, I noticed that a lot of plants have started shooting early.  Unfortunately it's not good if it does show.

Clematis Etoile Violette new growth
















Cardoon Thistle
















Camelia
















New growth on climbing roses.

















They say in London you are never more than 6ft away from a rat.  In the Garden of Anxiety, this old adage seems to be more true of foxes than rats. Often you can be pottering away outside and suddenly you become aware that one has been there all the time.  Normally I don't mind them except when they start digging up my plants, which can be infuriating.   

Foxy fox
















A day well spent in the garden and now I'm ready for any harsh weather that may come my way.  It is also exciting to think that in a few months Spring will be here and the garden will become alive with growth and colour.  I'm anxious to see what hapened to all those bulbs I planted in the autumn. 

Better late than never.

















No comments:

Post a Comment