Sunday 20 February 2011

AND SO THE WORK BEGINS...


Goodbye cruel bathroom with your bizarrely random bright blue shells and ugly fittings!  And so the work begins by removing the old tiles from one of the walls. Since this is going to be a weekend job, I thought I'd leave the basin splash tiles until last:  The bathroom needs to be operational during the week.

I was quite suprised to discover that the old grout bed is about 1/4 of an inch thick, so I've decided to scrape it back to the original wall.  With a bathroom this small, every centimetre of extra space counts!  The original wall is a horrid bubblegum pink with traces of previously having been lilac. Reminders of the previous occupants as this house was build in 1936.  It can be quite interesting what your walls can reveal, but most of all I'm very grateful that I still haven't come across any hidden cracks revealing structural defects in any of the walls. That's one of the advantages of stripping it all back.  This place is solid.  Good old pre-war housing stock.  They don't build them like they used to!

No comments:

Post a Comment